Friday, January 23, 2009

The Coursing Season in Review: Part I


Photo by Dave Mills

With the coursing season coming to a close I thought it was time to start a review of our dogs' accomplishments this year.

The hunting season for our dogs began in November. Gil was a complete novice and was entered in his very first hunt in Nevada. The hunt was mixed and some of the best coursing Greyhounds, Salukis and Whippets were in attendance so the last thing I expected was for Gil to make a placement (I was more concerned about him coming back to me than anything else!)

The brush in the area was very high and the rabbits were holding tight so it was challenge to get the dogs sighted. Despite the obstacles, Gil was not only able to get sighted he was able to stay sighted for a lot longer than I expected. He ran three courses that day and all of them were a fair distance. Needless to say he was a very tired little puppy all the way home.

He finished the day with a third place. Overall it was a great start for a novice dog and his novice owner ;-)




Stay tuned for part II ...

No comments:

Post a Comment