Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Gil's Birthday Race Party

Photo by Sam Scherf

On June 14th 2014, Gil turned 7 years old. It's kind of hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that he's 7 years old, but he's alive and well, and doesn't look a day over 4! 

I originally thought that I would take all the dogs to the beach as a way of celebrating Gil's big day, but I got recruited to help secretary a LGRA meet that day, so I figured Gil would be just as happy (if not more so) chasing the bunny for his birthday. The only thing that had me a little worried was his toe, which he had broken about a month prior to the meet. It had healed such that he was no longer lame, and he had regained some range of motion in the joint, but it was still never going to be the same as it was before. I figured I'd wrap the foot as well as I could and hope for the best, and as it turned out he managed just fine :)

Patti takes off
Photo by Sam Scherf

This was also Patti's first time back on the track since last year when she came up with two fat toes at our spring race meet. Her feet had healed quite well, the old injuries were barely noticeable, but I wrapped her feet good and tight too just to be safe.

Pi finished first in all three programs, followed by Gil and then Patti. Even at seven years old Gil still has quite a lot of speed on him. Pi never manages to be more than a half length ahead of his dad, even on a good day, and sometimes they finish almost in a deadheat. 

All in all, it was a fun day spent with friends and good competition, and I know Gil had a blast. Here's hoping to at least seven more years with him!

Photo by Sam Scherf


No comments:

Post a Comment